Background

Sunday, June 10, 2012

A month later...

Things here are not all bad- but they aren't all roses either- but really, are things ever just one way or another?

Great things:

The boys had their ballet recital yesterday! It was so wonderful, and they both did really well! We were very proud of them, but what makes us happiest is that they were proud of themselves! Harrison had terrible stage fright, the bright lights of the theater and the very large crowd really freaked him out! He could barely walk, his tummy was in knots! We talked to him, assured him, and he was able to do his dance. We clapped and cheered- and he was instantly better! Carter was more independent and proudly performed, he made his dedication known through his perfection! We are very happy for our boys and their pride in their work- way to go, guys!!!

Swimming season is here! I love that we have access to multiple pools all within short walking distance! LOVE! We went swimming as a family and we had a blast! For hours, truly- HOURS- we swam with the kids! We played, splashed, and tossed them around in the water. Carter was proudly showing us his "double jumps!" in the deep end (10 feet!) while Harrison wowed us with his first ever jump into the pool, where we took turns catching him! (Back story - the kids had a very scary experience with a pool a few years ago, and while Carter was able to quickly move past the fear, Harrison had very serious lingering doubts about water safety- so we have been working with him through swimming lessons and pool time- and this was a huge step!) Harrison then surprised us more by asking us to back away from the pool edge, and he would swim to us, keeping his head below water the whole time! HUGE progress!!! Carter enjoyed playing diving games and throwing Woody and Buzz toys and taking turns diving for them with Kurt! Carter could bring back toys 6 feet deep or shallower, and he had Kurt diving at 10 feet. The boys learned to play "chicken" on our shoulders too! (Harrison won, he's a scrappy fighter! In Carter's defense, I think Carter went down easily because he liked being pushed into the water.)

We are in the third trimester!!! The baby will be here in less than three months! So exciting!!! I have been so blessed- Kurt's mom sent us some totally adorable baby clothes, and my good friend Cari shipped me ultra-cute clothing all the way from Iowa! We are very lucky to have help to get ready for our little girl!


Less than thrilling updates:

Earlier last week I started having contractions lasting a minute, every three minutes. I drank a lot of water and I rested on my left side, but hours later there was still no improvement. I called the doctor's office, and they told me to go to labor and delivery at our local hospital. Our whole family went together, and we waited. I was monitored and the contractions and our little baby's heart-rate all showed up so the nurses could see. They did a few tests, and they tried a medication, but even with drugs contractions were only slowed to every five minutes. I appreciated that they allowed me to go home- I wanted to stay with my family- but have been put on pelvic rest and bed rest for the next few weeks. Bummer. I want to say that bed rest is unnecessary- but when I have broken it (I admit, I attended my boys' recital... I thought it was safe, as I mostly was sitting) I have had contractions regularly for hours after. So- bed is where I must stay. It is not fun... not at all. I am thankful my kids are older and Kurt has been here to help.

We have no updates about Kurt's employment situation. He has had interviews, but we are stuck waiting. I am reminded of this part of Oh The Places You'll Go!



I'm sorry to say so

but, sadly, it's true
that Bang-ups
and Hang-ups
can happen to you.



You can get all hung up
in a prickle-ly perch.
And your gang will fly on.
You'll be left in a Lurch.



You'll come down from the Lurch
with an unpleasant bump.
And the chances are, then,
that you'll be in a Slump.



And when you're in a Slump,
you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done.



You will come to a place where the streets are not marked.
Some windows are lighted.  But mostly they're darked.
A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin!
Do you dare to stay out?  Do you dare to go in?
How much can you lose? How much can you win?



And IF you go in, should you turn left or right...
or right-and-three-quarters? Or, maybe, not quite?
Or go around back and sneak in from behind?
Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find,
for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.



You can get so confused
that you'll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place...



...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.



Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.



NO!
That's not for you!



Somehow you'll escape
all that waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.



With banner flip-flapping,
once more you'll ride high!
Ready for anything under the sky.
Ready because you're that kind of a guy!


I hope for us to escape this situation soon, every day becomes slightly more stressful than the last. I want to apologize to all of my dear friends who have been trying so hard to comfort us during this time- the truth is that in times of crisis we tend to become little hermits and want to just be by ourselves, with our own little family. I do not know why we do this, we just do.

We are still keeping strong with our faith. I am co-leading a Good Morning Girls group, and it has helped me a very great deal- the women are so strong and supportive, so when I finally do open up about how I am feeling they are remarkable. We have been going to Church, well- now it is more of Kurt and the boys going while I stay in bed- and it helps Kurt and the kids keep focus.

 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”
                                                           James 4: 13-15


No comments:

Post a Comment